Q&A for Insane Audio's new JK2001

Information about new products and accessories!

Q&A for Insane Audio's new JK2001

Postby InsaneAudioSupport » Fri May 19, 2017 7:32 am

Insane Audio's super awesome new JK2001 is available now! Here is a link to some more information -- http://www.insanejeepaudio.com/JK2001_electronic_flyer.pdf

Several customers have been e-mailing us with various questions about this new product so we figured it would be a good idea to start a new topic in our forum. So... ask away!

Have Insane Audio's JK1001 and looking to upgrade? Go here -- http://www.insanejeepaudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=4241
InsaneAudioSupport
 
Posts: 318
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:09 pm

Re: Q&A for Insane Audio's new JK2001

Postby Mike » Sun May 21, 2017 7:42 am

InsaneAudioSupport wrote:Insane Audio's super awesome new JK2001 is available now! Here is a link to some more information -- http://www.insanejeepaudio.com/JK2001_electronic_flyer.pdf

Several customers have been e-mailing us with various questions about this new product so we figured it would be a good idea to start a new topic in our forum. So... ask away!

Have Insane Audio's JK1001 and looking to upgrade? Go here -- http://www.insanejeepaudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=4241


OK Support Dudes, you asked for it. So here it comes.

Remember me? I am Mike -- KD5KC, the ham radio operator and electronics tech in El Paso Texas. You certainly must remember some of the detailed test data I provided when we were troubleshooting the JK1001 dead battery drain issue. So pay attention, there will be some test questions here.

#1 -- Right from the start, the flyer is interesting, but lacking in many details and a nice clear photo of the front panel. Even printed on the high-quality color laser at work, it was still difficult to read some of the controls.

Question #1a -- Can you post a high quality photo of the JK2001 front panel?

Question #1b -- Where can we download a copy of the manual for more details?

#2 -- Studying the flyer and trying to compare it to the JK1001, it appears that perhaps the new JK2001 has a slightly larger display. Again, this is hard to judge, but it does appear to me that the controls have moved around some, and perhaps the display has grown some.

Question #2 -- Has the display on the JK2001 increased in size over the JK1001?

#3 -- As I understand it, the JK1001 has a 1.2 GHz 32-bit Duo-Core processor - essentially 2 x 1.2 GHz parallel processors on a 32-bit OS. The JK2001 has a 1.6 GHZ 64-bit Octo-Core processor - essentially 8 x 1.6 GHz parallel processors on a 64-bit OS. I suck at math... but from 1.2 to 1.6 is a 33% increase in processor speed. The 8 core processor is 4 x the 2 core processing ability. And the 64 bit OS should be 2x faster than the 32 bit OS. If I add that up correctly, this makes the JK2001 about 10 x faster than the JK1001 when processing operations. Am I close? The JK1001 boot time was really annoying, although the delay shut-off timer in the later OS update helped a lot in the errand running department. Getting my chosen CLOCK APP running was also annoyingly slow. The faster processing ability should help this a great deal.

Question #3 -- What is the COLD BOOT TIME for the JK2001?

#4 -- If I understood it correctly, while the JK1001 had 16 GB of on-board memory, only 1 GB was allocated to APP storage due to the Android OS limitation. The JK2001 has 32 GB of on-board memory, fully allocated for APP storage. So essentially, the 2001 has 32 X the storage of the 1001. With the JK1001 I quickly ran out of APP storage. Even moving the APPS that could be moved to the Micro-SD card, I am still getting memory low warnings.

Question #4 -- Do I have this understood correctly, 32 X APP storage in the 2001?

#5 -- Blue-Tooth. I have been somewhat disappointed in the JK1001. I have a radio transceiver for Automatic Position Reporting System (APRS-google it). This transceiver is blue-tooth enabled as a SLAVE device. I can connect to it through my cell phone as my cell phone is a MASTER device. As I quickly learned, you can connect MASTER to MASTER. You can connect MASTER to SLAVE. You CANNOT connect SLAVE to SLAVE. I have tried.... I know you have tried.... and the APRS transceiver manufacturer has tried. We have not succeeded. The reason this is desirable is because I can send and receive TEXT messages through the APRS system, and it covers places where cell phones are out of range (like Christmas Mountain in the Texas Big Bend region). The APRS transmitter also sends a beacon every mile, or every turn. So my wife and friends can track me. If I am hours overdue returning from an outing, anyone can check and see where the last JEEP beacon was heard at and how long ago, and dispatch the rescue crew to find me. Running this from the tiny cell phone screen is a PITA, running it from the much larger JK2001 would be much better. I will put more info about APRS below.

Question #5 -- Is the JK2001 Blue-Tooth capable of operating as a MASTER?

#6 -- The JK2001 doesn't have a CD/DVD player? My first thought was - what were they thinking? But I read on.... and learned that the JK2001 is now IP66 waterproof. So what dos that mean? I looked it up. WOW! https://sigmaluminous.com/what-are-ip65-ip66-and-ip-67-ratings/. There will not be any worries about getting caught in the rain anymore. And after about the first 2 weeks, I really never used the CD/DVD player anyway. Once I got a Micro-SD chip and loaded all my music on it, I didn't need the CD/DVD player at all. I will not miss it. HOWEVER..... I do not remember the max size of the Micro-SD that the JK1001 was limited to.... but the JK2001 can support up to 256 GB in a Micro-SD card. Holy cow! So I looked up Micro-SD cards, and saw that they run anywhere from $40 to $250. If I have to buy it, I would prefer the $40 one, as long as it works.

Question #6 -- What CLASS rating does the Micro-SD need to be in the JK2001?

#7 -- The Insane Navi-engine. Sorry guys, but I find the HMI (Human Machine Interface) of the Navigation Engine to be difficult to manulipate. So much so that I often take a big screen Garmin GPS along simply because I can work with uploading TRACK LOGS and WAYPOINTS from my preferred program (ExpertGPS) to the Garmin. The JK1001 Navi-engine just isn't as user friendly. I am working on a permanent mount for the Garmin GPS. I will gladly abandon this effort if the Insane Navi-Engine HMI has improved to allow easier use and TRACK LOGS.

Question #7 -- Have improvements been made to the JK2001 Navi-Engine HMI?

#8 -- I (like many I suppose) have an external SIRIUS-XM satellite radio connected to the A/V input of the JK1001. If I add the forward looking Rock Cam, the only way to use it is to switch to the A/V input, limiting my choice of audio programming to the satellite radio only. It looks like the JK2001 will have a separage APP to allow the use of the forward looking rock-cam and still listen to other audio devices (radio or music player).

Question #8 -- Is it true we will be able to watch rock cam video and listen to other than A/V input audio on the JK2001?

#9 -- I am almost certain the JK2001 will retain the TORQUE application. It would be foolish to delete it. But I am looking farther ahead on this, to something else perhaps more useful. Many companies make interface devices to connect through the OBDII to the JEEP computer, and allow manipulation of certain parameters within the computer. For example, the ability to use your axle lockers in the 4X4 high range - that is a big one for guys who operate in a lot of mud. Considering that the JK1001 (and 2001?) already have an OBDII connection.........

Question #9 -- Does the JK2001 have an APP, or are you working on an APP that will allow limited control through the OBDII?

#10 -- The flyer made no mention of a built-in Sirius-XM satellite radio. Presently, anyone listening to satellite radio needs to have an external unit with inputs to the A/V input of the JK1001 as in #8 above. This isn't a question - but rather I applaud you for sticking to your guns on the SIRIUS/XM issue. I do not want or need a satellite radio integrated into the JK2001. I do agree that out here in the western wilderness, sometimes the only radio signals available are weak and distant AM stations, no FM coverage for miles and miles. In those cases a satellite radio is the only way to get news or alternate programming other than your Micro-SD chip. I have a very small SIRIUS receiver, and I take it from vehicle to venicle as needed. I have a car kit in the JEEP, in the Dog-Show van, and in my little Toyota sports car. I also have a docking station in the house. I move the satellite receiver to where I need it, and I only have to pay for one subscription.

#10 -- Thanks for not making me pay for something that would be useless for my needs, built in satellite radio.

This is how my little satellite receiver rides in the JEEP. Knowing it is a very small unit, I picked up 2 spares on E-bay just in case I break one. The satellite receiver is the little blue display in the upper right. The display next to it on the left is the VHF/UHF 50 watt Ham Radio.

Image

This URL will give you an opportunity to see my APRS track. The JEEP ICON is a little green jeep. If no track shows, it is because the JEEP has been put away while I drive the Toyota sports car to and from work etc. You may need to change the SHOW LAST: time and SHOW TAIL LENGTH: time to a longer period to see anything, but make it too long and it may get confusing. You can zoom in or out in the map for more or less details.
https://aprs.fi/#!call=a%2FKD5KC&timerange=86400&tail=86400

Well SUPPORT DUDES, I guess that is all the questions I have - for now.Now I just need to convince the wife to fit this in the budget..... right after we get back from visiting the in-laws and all my ham radio friends in Germany.

Last - please excuse any typos. My right arm is in a soft cast, and typing isn't easy. I corrected all typos that I found...... What did I do to my arm? Well, it was a long-range Rifle match at Fort Bliss, which I won with a 1944 M-1 Garand modified to shoot 7.62mm cartridges, and a lot of wind..... when we were putting the targets away the wind tried to rip one out of my hands, and tore the tendons of my right elbow. Not detached, just torn. It hurts anyway.

Looking forward to answers here. Perhaps others will think of things I haven't thought of yet. Thanks much.

Mike -- El Paso, Texas.
User avatar
Mike
 
Posts: 43
Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:59 pm

Re: Q&A for Insane Audio's new JK2001

Postby InsaneAudioSupport » Mon May 22, 2017 6:29 pm

Mike wrote:Question #1a -- Can you post a high quality photo of the JK2001 front panel?


Here 'ya go --http://www.insanejeepaudio.com/PRODUCT_DATA/PRODUCT_IMAGES/JK2001/JK2001_MAIN_IMAGE.jpg

Mike wrote: Question #1b -- Where can we download a copy of the manual for more details?


We'll let you know when we write it. :D

Mike wrote:Question #2 -- Has the display on the JK2001 increased in size over the JK1001?


Yes. It's about 1/4 inch bigger.


Mike wrote:#3 -- As I understand it, the JK1001 has a 1.2 GHz 32-bit Duo-Core processor - essentially 2 x 1.2 GHz parallel processors on a 32-bit OS. The JK2001 has a 1.6 GHZ 64-bit Octo-Core processor - essentially 8 x 1.6 GHz parallel processors on a 64-bit OS. I suck at math... but from 1.2 to 1.6 is a 33% increase in processor speed. The 8 core processor is 4 x the 2 core processing ability. And the 64 bit OS should be 2x faster than the 32 bit OS. If I add that up correctly, this makes the JK2001 about 10 x faster than the JK1001 when processing operations. Am I close? The JK1001 boot time was really annoying, although the delay shut-off timer in the later OS update helped a lot in the errand running department. Getting my chosen CLOCK APP running was also annoyingly slow. The faster processing ability should help this a great deal.


Yes -- the JK2001 is much faster and it's got a lot more hardware. Your math isn't entirely correct (i.e. 64bit doesn't necessarily mean it processes twice as fast but really means that you can address and process larger chunks of memory faster) but you get the point. It's fast. Damn fast. :)

n.b. We're not sure what clock app you are running but we can't imagine that it would be doing anything that would require a faster CPU. Sounds like this may be an issue with the app you are running. By point of comparison, even on the JK1001, Insane NavEngine is rendering full USGS topography on the fly in high def with no latency.. that's got to take more processing power then a clock app..

It's also worth noting that CPU power, while important, isn't the only factor involved in booting your JK1001. The reality is that there is a lot going on during boot such as system integrity checks, reading files, indexing and writing them to memory, etc. This happens at boot for pretty much any operating system (windows, iOS, android, etc) and CPU is rarely the bottleneck. But... we've done something pretty cool with respect to this one....

Mike wrote:Question #3 -- What is the COLD BOOT TIME for the JK2001?


We haven't measured but it's faster then the JK1001... but we should probably tell you about our new advanced hibernation mode. :) Most customers will boot their JK2001 once. That's right -- once. On install. We have a new sleep mode that hibernates indefinitely and draws negligible current from your battery. So after you install it and boot the first time, every other time you get in your Jeep it'll boot instantaneously! Our guys are pretty proud of this one.

Mike wrote: #4 -- If I understood it correctly, while the JK1001 had 16 GB of on-board memory, only 1 GB was allocated to APP storage due to the Android OS limitation. The JK2001 has 32 GB of on-board memory, fully allocated for APP storage. So essentially, the 2001 has 32 X the storage of the 1001. With the JK1001 I quickly ran out of APP storage. Even moving the APPS that could be moved to the Micro-SD card, I am still getting memory low warnings.

Question #4 -- Do I have this understood correctly, 32 X APP storage in the 2001?


Yes! You understand that correctly. We doubled the memory and with Android 6.0 we were able to fully allocate it for app storage. You've got 32GB of usable flash memory for app storage on the JK2001. That's a heck of a lot of space for apps!

Mike wrote:Question #5 -- Is the JK2001 Blue-Tooth capable of operating as a MASTER?


Yes! Please also keep in mind the JK1001 was designed for handsfree calling and bluetooth media streaming. You mentioned above that you were disappointed with the way it behaved but keep in mind that it's working exactly as designed.

The JK2001, on the other hand, is designed for more. It's got BT 4.0LE and not only works great with bluetooth phone and audio streaming as a slave.. but also has an intelligent switch that will operate accessories as a master device.

For example -- it works great with Switch Pros SP8100 switch module. (that should be big news for some of our customers) We've also connected a bunch of other accessories here at the lab and have yet to find one that won't work. For example, we just connected a bluetooth breathalizer device just for fun. Of course, that then led to a drinking competition at our shop which we're pretty sure wasn't what that little gizmo was made for.. :)


Mike wrote:Question #6 -- What CLASS rating does the Micro-SD need to be in the JK2001?


We recommend a Class 10. For the record -- your JK1001 supports up to 256GB as well. It just needs to be formatted properly (we recommend FAT-32).

Mike wrote:#7 -- The Insane Navi-engine. Sorry guys, but I find the HMI (Human Machine Interface) of the Navigation Engine to be difficult to manulipate. So much so that I often take a big screen Garmin GPS along simply because I can work with uploading TRACK LOGS and WAYPOINTS from my preferred program (ExpertGPS) to the Garmin. The JK1001 Navi-engine just isn't as user friendly. I am working on a permanent mount for the Garmin GPS. I will gladly abandon this effort if the Insane Navi-Engine HMI has improved to allow easier use and TRACK LOGS.

Question #7 -- Have improvements been made to the JK2001 Navi-Engine HMI?


Insane NavEngine is the same on the JK2001.

You can easily import waypoints to NavEngine but not track logs. There are lots (and lots) of apps that do this (Gaya, Backcountry Navigator, etc) so we're not sure why you would be lugging around an external unit. Have you tried some of the other apps out there? NavEngine was designed to be stand alone and simple and admittedly isn't your best option for loading routes or track logs.

Mike wrote:Question #8 -- Is it true we will be able to watch rock cam video and listen to other than A/V input audio on the JK2001?


Yep. AVIN is still there and that app will display the VIDEO IN port and the AUDIO IN jacks. In addition to that, we added a new video only input -- RockCam IN. So you can run that while listening to any audio source at the same time. We created a new app (RockCam) that will display the camera input and also lets you toggle the reverse cam if equipped. Lastly, it's worth noting that we also include a RockCam power input on our accessory harness so that can be used to power your front camera. When the app is launched, it turns on your camera.. when you exit, it turns it off. So no more needing to tap into a switched 12v power source for your front camera!

Mike wrote:Question #9 -- Does the JK2001 have an APP, or are you working on an APP that will allow limited control through the OBDII?


Working on it, but our partners are somewhat constrained for bandwidth at the moment... no ETA. :(

Mike wrote:#10 -- Thanks for not making me pay for something that would be useless for my needs, built in satellite radio.


We certainly agree with you on this one, Mike. We do not have plans to ever integrate SiriusXM and force folks to tie a subscription to our device (thus increasing the base price of the unit). As you pointed out, you can easily connect an external receiver through the aux input and that receiver can then be moved between vehicles or even brought inside your house all on the same subscription. The last time we checked, the OnyxEZ was $30 on Amazon.com.

Mike wrote:Well SUPPORT DUDES, I guess that is all the questions I have - for now.


Feel free to ask away. In the meantime, we'll work on updating our manuals. It's also worth pointing out that we've added lots of fun things here and there to the JK2001. It's a pretty awesome product!

Cheers,

InSaNe AuDio Support Staff
InsaneAudioSupport
 
Posts: 318
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:09 pm


Return to Insane Audio Product Announcements and Accessories

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests