No OBD connection in 2004 Jeep wrangler.

This forum is to discuss Torque or whatever other OBD app you're running with your android powered Insane Audio head unit!

No OBD connection in 2004 Jeep wrangler.

Postby pblouie » Mon Dec 07, 2015 6:11 am

I have installed JK1001 in 2004 Jeep wrangler LJ, torque app does not communicate with OBD. I have several Jeeps including 2008 and 2012 Jeep wranglers if park next to either of these Jeeps with OBD adapter installed I can read engine torque data so system works do I need different adapter or is it settings in the JK1001.
pblouie

Re: No OBD connection in 2004 Jeep wrangler.

Postby InsaneAudioSupport » Mon Dec 07, 2015 12:30 pm

pblouie wrote:I have installed JK1001 in 2004 Jeep wrangler LJ, torque app does not communicate with OBD. I have several Jeeps including 2008 and 2012 Jeep wranglers if park next to either of these Jeeps with OBD adapter installed I can read engine torque data so system works do I need different adapter or is it settings in the JK1001.

Firstly -- AWESOME. Post up some pics of the JK1001 in your '04 LJ! That's a cool mod!

To answer your question, though... we're not sure if an '04 is fully compatible with the OBDII reader and Torque. To fully rule things out, however, are you saying that the exact same adapter when plugged into your '08 or '12 will connect and work fine but just won't work in your '04?
InsaneAudioSupport

Postby pblouie » Mon Dec 07, 2015 2:58 pm

Correct, adapter works fine in o8 & 12 wranglers, but will not read data in 04 Jeep , I have OBD scan tool and it works fine in any of these Jeeps and w/o changing any setup settings from 2004 > 2012. I would think as long as it's OBD 2 it should work. I hope we can find a solution, thanks Paul. AND yes I will get pics up soon , I wish I took step by step pics, it turned out nice but I took my time and thought out each step .spent entire weekend doing installation. NO REGRETS !
pblouie

Postby InsaneAudioSupport » Tue Dec 08, 2015 1:59 pm

pblouie wrote:Correct, adapter works fine in o8 & 12 wranglers, but will not read data in 04 Jeep , I have OBD scan tool and it works fine in any of these Jeeps and w/o changing any setup settings from 2004 > 2012. I would think as long as it's OBD 2 it should work. I hope we can find a solution, thanks Paul. AND yes I will get pics up soon , I wish I took step by step pics, it turned out nice but I took my time and thought out each step .spent entire weekend doing installation. NO REGRETS !

Hmmm.. if it works on your other vehicles then we know it's not a problem with the adapter itself. We've checked on an '06 wrangler but I don't know if an '04 is an older version of OBD that might not be fully compatible? Not really sure?? Maybe your scan tool supports a wider range of years? I'm sorry, but we don't really know what else to tell you. Did you try the Torque forum to see if anyone else had issues in an '04 wrangler?

Once again -- awesome on the install and we can't wait to see the pics!
InsaneAudioSupport

Return to OBD Engine Diagnostics