System Backups & Recovery?

Get the latest software for your JK1001!
Robotele

System Backups & Recovery?

Post by Robotele » Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:38 pm

I don't own a JK1001 yet but plan to. Working in the tech field, I hate fiddling with OS or app issues, or data corruption in my off time. Is there a way to periodically backup and then re-image the software on the unit? If not, what about backing up all map data and my custom user settings?

I live outside as much as possible when not working, so the last thing I want in the backcountry is high-tech toys and the frustration they bring when not functioning. However, this JK1001 is something I just have to try, and I want to make recovery as painless as possible. I'd rather winch out of a mistake for 8 hours than play with OS issues and software for an hour. You might get the idea I'm impressed with the JK1001 at least in theory, and I am! Can't wait to get one and start using...just waiting for the beta testers to finish up. :D

InsaneAudioSupport

Re: System Backups & Recovery?

Post by InsaneAudioSupport » Fri Feb 20, 2015 4:38 pm

Robotele wrote:I don't own a JK1001 yet but plan to. Working in the tech field, I hate fiddling with OS or app issues, or data corruption in my off time. Is there a way to periodically backup and then re-image the software on the unit? If not, what about backing up all map data and my custom user settings?

I live outside as much as possible when not working, so the last thing I want in the backcountry is high-tech toys and the frustration they bring when not functioning. However, this JK1001 is something I just have to try, and I want to make recovery as painless as possible. I'd rather winch out of a mistake for 8 hours than play with OS issues and software for an hour. You might get the idea I'm impressed with the JK1001 at least in theory, and I am! Can't wait to get one and start using...just waiting for the beta testers to finish up. :D
We already include a recovery image with the JK1001 so the "factory reset" functionality takes you back to a clean state. In fact, we've architected the JK1001 so that when you apply future software updates.. it ALSO updates the recovery image. (so you always go back to a clean state + upgrades). Furthermore, Google will backup all your contacts and app settings by default.
Lastly, most of your data (music, movies, etc) will be stored on the microSD card so that isn't really effected by anything with the OS.

Of course we're sure there are plenty of backup apps available online... but you're probably good to go right out of the box. ;)