Mystery wire...

Questions and answers about installing Insane Audio's FJ1001
RangoRyder

Mystery wire...

Post by RangoRyder » Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:13 am

So I just got my new FJ1001 and am about to install it. There is this wire that isn't mentioned anywhere in the installation guide so I was wondering what it is and if I need to have access to it or even connect it. The connector coming out of the top left side of the back of the unit looks similar to an S-video plug for a tv and connects to an additional wire that has a flat wide plug with clips on it.

InsaneAudioSupport

Re: Mystery wire...

Post by InsaneAudioSupport » Tue Aug 09, 2016 3:13 pm

RangoRyder wrote:So I just got my new FJ1001 and am about to install it. There is this wire that isn't mentioned anywhere in the installation guide so I was wondering what it is and if I need to have access to it or even connect it. The connector coming out of the top left side of the back of the unit looks similar to an S-video plug for a tv and connects to an additional wire that has a flat wide plug with clips on it.
That's an iPod cable. Most folks wire it to the glovebox. :)

Note that we intentionally use an old-style iPod connector for compatibility reasons. There are lots of folks out there still using the old 160GB iPods. If you have a newer style iPod, you can just use a lightning adapter and that cable still works. Check the Quick Start Guide for some helpful hints on using the iPod app -- http://www.insanejeepaudio.com/IA_JK100 ... urrent.pdf

Also, it's worth noting that while your FJ1001 will use the iPod app to control an iPod through this cable.. you definitely should also take a look at the microSD card slot and store some music on there. That's by far the best way to use the system and you can even customize the music player if you want.

Enjoy!

RangoRyder

Re: Mystery wire...

Post by RangoRyder » Wed Aug 10, 2016 4:36 am

Thanks! The clips on the cable threw me off and I wondered if it wasn`t some sort of serial cable for programming the unit.