Insane Audio User Forum

A public forum for discussing Insane Audio's super awesome in-dash multimedia and navigation systems!

GPS Signal - Continually Searching

Questions, answers and general discussion around Insane NavEngine!

GPS Signal - Continually Searching

by shamons » Sat Apr 11, 2015 2:42 pm

The GPS on my system now seems to constantly be "searching" for a signal. If you click the satellite icon, it shows 12 or so satellites in view, but none have a enough signal strength to get a fix in NavEngine.

The problem is that I am in Chicago, my wife is driving through Dallas right now...and therefore, she can't use her in-dash Navigation, and I am not in a position to help. I realize that I probably need to relocate the antenna from in the dash where it was suggested by the instructions, but that isn't going to happen right now. I currently have it mounted on top of the unit, inside of the dash...but I am guessing that with the insulated hard top that comes with the Sahara, it is just too much for the antenna to pick up properly.

Any ideas on a quick fix? We have tried shutting the unit / vehicle down and restarting, but that isn't fixing the problem. Any way to improve the gain on the antenna through software, at least until we both get home and I can take the dash apart to relocate the antenna?

At this point, my wife is fed up with the unit enough that she wants me to return it. Any assistance you can offer would be appreciated.

Re: GPS Signal - Continually Searching

by InsaneAudioSupport » Sun Apr 12, 2015 9:44 am

shamons wrote:The GPS on my system now seems to constantly be "searching" for a signal. If you click the satellite icon, it shows 12 or so satellites in view, but none have a enough signal strength to get a fix in NavEngine.

The problem is that I am in Chicago, my wife is driving through Dallas right now...and therefore, she can't use her in-dash Navigation, and I am not in a position to help. I realize that I probably need to relocate the antenna from in the dash where it was suggested by the instructions, but that isn't going to happen right now. I currently have it mounted on top of the unit, inside of the dash...but I am guessing that with the insulated hard top that comes with the Sahara, it is just too much for the antenna to pick up properly.

Any ideas on a quick fix? We have tried shutting the unit / vehicle down and restarting, but that isn't fixing the problem. Any way to improve the gain on the antenna through software, at least until we both get home and I can take the dash apart to relocate the antenna?

At this point, my wife is fed up with the unit enough that she wants me to return it. Any assistance you can offer would be appreciated.

Hey, there. Thanks for reaching out to us. The antenna should absolutely work right on top of the unit (even if you've got a hard top). In fact, it's a really good location because it gets a clear view of the sky though your windshield.

You're going to want to make sure you've got a clean connection on the rear and there aren't any cuts in that GPS cable. You also should make sure that you didn't wrap it really tight (i.e. use a tie wrap or anything like that). If it isn't something obvious then there is a chance you've got a bad GPS antenna... it's rare, but possible. Hit up our support guys and they can send you a new one under warranty -- support@insanejeepaudio.com

by shamons » Tue Dec 22, 2015 3:55 pm

Just an update for you, the new GPS antenna did resolve my problem. GPS works flawlessly now.

by DJ.Lost » Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:05 am

I just experienced this same problem last evening. I have not used the Nav on my JK1001 since I received it and installed it back in January. This is the first time I have been outside of my home area since then. As we started our trip all seemed to go well. The Nav Engine found a route and we stared following it. About 30 minutes down the road the Nave Engine stated it was searching for satellites with the icon up in the top left of the screen. We made a quick stop to try to fix the problem. Nothing I could do allowed it to resume functioning. We left it on but started using a cell phone for directions. The trip took about 5 hours and the Nav Engine remained in search mode the entire way. I will not be able to check the cables or antenna until we get home from our trip. I am very disappointed that the Nav system is not working correctly seeing that it is one of the main features that had caught my interest in this head unit.

by InsaneAudioSupport » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:28 am

DJ.Lost wrote:I just experienced this same problem last evening. I have not used the Nav on my JK1001 since I received it and installed it back in January. This is the first time I have been outside of my home area since then. As we started our trip all seemed to go well. The Nav Engine found a route and we stared following it. About 30 minutes down the road the Nave Engine stated it was searching for satellites with the icon up in the top left of the screen. We made a quick stop to try to fix the problem. Nothing I could do allowed it to resume functioning. We left it on but started using a cell phone for directions. The trip took about 5 hours and the Nav Engine remained in search mode the entire way. I will not be able to check the cables or antenna until we get home from our trip. I am very disappointed that the Nav system is not working correctly seeing that it is one of the main features that had caught my interest in this head unit.

That's definitely not normal. Check your GPS antenna first -- Obviously make sure it's screwed in nice and tight, but make sure the cable itself isn't pinched or cut anywhere. It also needs a clear view of the sky (so if you've got it mounted underneath a CB radio, that probably won't get you the best results). If you continue to have problems, hit up our support guys at support@insanejeepaudio.com. With Insane Audio you get lifetime technical support and a company who stands behind our products 100% so we'll get you going one way or another.

Cheers,

INSaNe AuDio Support Staff

by Mike » Wed May 17, 2017 2:13 am

InsaneAudioSupport wrote:
DJ.Lost wrote:I just experienced this same problem last evening. I have not used the Nav on my JK1001 since I received it and installed it back in January. This is the first time I have been outside of my home area since then. As we started our trip all seemed to go well. The Nav Engine found a route and we stared following it. About 30 minutes down the road the Nave Engine stated it was searching for satellites with the icon up in the top left of the screen. We made a quick stop to try to fix the problem. Nothing I could do allowed it to resume functioning. We left it on but started using a cell phone for directions. The trip took about 5 hours and the Nav Engine remained in search mode the entire way. I will not be able to check the cables or antenna until we get home from our trip. I am very disappointed that the Nav system is not working correctly seeing that it is one of the main features that had caught my interest in this head unit.

That's definitely not normal. Check your GPS antenna first -- Obviously make sure it's screwed in nice and tight, but make sure the cable itself isn't pinched or cut anywhere. It also needs a clear view of the sky (so if you've got it mounted underneath a CB radio, that probably won't get you the best results). If you continue to have problems, hit up our support guys at support@insanejeepaudio.com. With Insane Audio you get lifetime technical support and a company who stands behind our products 100% so we'll get you going one way or another.

Cheers,

INSaNe AuDio Support Staff

OK - this is an outside chance..... I was in the dog-show van (a huge Ford E-350 1-ton set up to haul Great Danes to shows) and we were departing for a dog show. I could not get the Garmin GPS to find satellites. There were several on the screen, but all weak signals. Sound familiar? Since we were headed to a show that we go to often, we really didn't need the GPS.... but it irked me that it wasn't working. The only change to the van was the addition of a traffic dash cam - just in case we had an accident or something. So I pulled the power plug from the dash cam, and the signal bars on the Garmin popped up to normal..... within seconds we had a GPS lock.

Dunno if this will help you, but there it is.... Best of luck.

Mike -- El Paso, TX.
Mike -- El Paso, Texas.

2015 JKU-R Hard Rock -- The Copperhead.

by Mike » Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:37 am

You know - I just HATE IT when you go out of your way to try to help people, then they never report back if it got fixed, and how.
Mike -- El Paso, Texas.

2015 JKU-R Hard Rock -- The Copperhead.